Monday, November 1, 2010

Can't Fight the Moonlight

I wish this post was as exciting as that fine, fine Leann Rimes song.  But it's what kept running through me head as I was riding today.  EZ can tell you how well I sing it, too.  It started out with the thought, "Have to beat the sunset," which sounds like it has the potential to be at least a mediocre song too.
You know you want to watch it

When I woke up this morning I checked the weather forcast: high in the 40s, so EZ could keep his blankie on and I wouldn't have to harrass my mother to undress him.  I also checked the time of the sunset to see if I could ride after my school responsibilities.  5:53pm.  I usually get done with riding with the school's riding team at about 5, so zooming home (not that I ever zoom) would get me there at about 5:20, leaving approximately half an hour to tack, ride and untack, in relative comfort.  Worth it?  Totally.

Recently EZ has decided that the walk down the hill from the pasure to the tacking area does not bode well, so he plants himself at the top, and I comically do a tug-of-war routine.  It's not really all that cute after a while though, so I have been doing my best to discourage it .  Luckily today he walked begrudgingly along, because there was not time to waste!  He must of felt the vibe.  We can't fight the moonlight!  My grooming job was rather deplorable, and his ears were still dirty, but I channelled the ranch methods and got what needed to be clean, clean.  Then I clamored aboard, with much grace, obviously, and we were off, at approximately 5:35. 

Yeah, see that jellybean I'm tacking up?  Only her saddle area's only been groomed.  That's how we roll in the Wild West.  I bet her ears are in a deplorable state, too.

He was the best-horse-in-the-world and we did some serpentines and some walk-trot and walk-canter transitions and some leg yielding and he stretched down so softly and far at the end and he's the best-horse-in-the-world.  I didn't want to do too much anyway and make him too hot, since it was 38 degrees when I exited my car and I knew there wouldn't be too much cool out time, especially since you can't fight the moonlight AND I had to be back on campus for dorm-duty tonight, so when we were done with all that it was approximately 5:52.  Well-played.  And luckily, I don't know if you've noticed, but sunsets are pretty.
Don't worry, it's not that snowy.  Yet.  Right to the left is where the ring is now!


And with the remaining light there was even enough time to do some worming doses.  Not as much time to snuggle with Donker as I would've liked, but then again, there never is.

No comments:

Post a Comment