Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring Time

I am declaring it spring.  The evidence: blankies off (mostly), mud, no frozen skin when exposed to the elements, green sprouts emerging.  This is a big deal.  A huge deal.  This means the ground is no longer frozen (I guess I gave that away already with the "mud" comment), and it logically follows that this means EZadorbs and I can galavant around the countryside again.

Which is pretty good, considering we are supposed to be getting ready for our big ("big" in this sense being totally subjective) event in a month.  ish.  We have access to our grassy area again, although I am trying to tread gently because of this mud issue that seems to be cropping up so often in this post.  And, I get to install our dressage letters now!  I can't wait.  I have to make sure I make the correct measurements so that we can practice our little dressage test accurately.



No big deal, right?  The trickiest part is the conversions.  Or else I need to buy a meter measuring tape.

So there's our dressage, taken care of, totally.  I am glad though that we had our winter time at Broken Wheel Ranch to get some consistent work done, EZ is just like a flexible, stretchy, on the bit machine.  And I've been still been hacking over once or twice a week to practice in a proper arena.

Then it's just a matter of doing it at Kent!  And then the small detail of the stadium and x-country!  Sure it will be just a breeze.  Without, you know, jumps, it's a little tricky to get tons o' experience with that stuff.  But, I am doing lots of cantering around fields.  And water obstacles.  Yeah, they're puddles, so what?  They are pretty legit puddles though, lets say mini lakes, maybe really-super-mini-lakes, and EZbigbraveboy just canters right through.  Sometimes on the second try.  But mostly on the first!

And, since he was so good at the jumpers show in February I'm hoping I'll just keep it together enough for him to continue going over things.  Ronan has promised to take me both stadium and x-country schooling, so I am not a nervous wreck.  Will be an adventure!

Meanwhile, we're getting all tuned up--vet, dentist, farrier, the works.  Very inexpensive.

EZ's favorite part of being fussed over is the end.  Because that's treat time.  His devotion to treats means that he will invite himself to hang out when I'm in the tack room, giving his bridle a much needed clean.

Noms?

I am sorry to admit that I don't discourage it.  EZ's company is quite excellent and his face particularly fetching.

  
This lack of discouragement of course translates to an invitation to just come on in in horsey language.  Take a look around!  Have a gnaw on the broom!


This dude takes invitation to enter to a whole new level though.  Just prances right on in like it ain't no thing, his tiny hooves seemingly giving him blanket tack room permission.


Myma's just about as bossy as declaring the tack room her own space, but although loud about it, not consistently effective.



 The tack room shenanigans convince the other cranky equine herd members that there might be something good for the getting, and they come down to boss EZpushover around.  He hides behind me for protection.

Noms??

I attempted to take photos of the frenzy for noms, so he thought the camera was a treat source and as a result I got several shots of pure nostril/lip.


And also this awkward-angle eye shot, in which you can see the crazy nom glint.

No comments:

Post a Comment